Skip to main content

Then and now



 In my recent visit to my mom, I was walking down the long hallway  when my eye spotted  a framed charcoal drawing of a lady in a long black dress. I looked closer and found my mom's initials.
I asked my brother about it. He found it not too long ago, along with a few other paintings and drawings of hers.

My mamma used to draw and paint and she used to enjoy it a lot.
My mamma used to enjoy many activities but life changed her.
It saddens me deeply to see that she lost interest in many many things in life, while she still is in her seventies.

A few days later, I brought a drawing pad and charcoal pencils and sat  on one side of the living room where she was. I pulled a table and started drawing a random mosaic design . What are you doing she asked?

I am drawing. Would you like to join me?
Me???? nooooo.
Why not?

I handed her a paper and a charcoal pencil that used to be her favorite.

She drew an incomplete face in a rush and gave it back to me with anger.

Sorry I can't do it she said.

A bitter, sad, unbearable silence followed and that was it.


















I do have to accept the fact that my mom is not the person she used to be but she remains the loving person she's always been, the helpful soul and the angel heart.

I chose to share a few of her paintings and wish I could have had more time to spend next to her to keep trying to ignite one of her interests again.

                                                                                                                                                                                                 


















 I ought to say though that she enjoyed a few mid morning walks along the corniche (seashore), one thing we used to do when I was still living with her. We used to love this walk in the rain, letting the angry waves sometime soak us wet and make us laugh and giggle like two little kids (well I was a teenager and she was being one too).







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watching the city wake up

I am jet lagged but still able to reflect on the past two weeks favorite experience. Walking and watching the city wake up. Leaving the building  close to sunrise, I am greeted by a few cats startled at the sound of  my steps wondering if I am a threat or just a safe walker.  I start my descent and pass by the neighborhood baker  warming up his oven and spreading his dough with his special zaatar (thyme) mix. I continue my walk going a few meters uphill then down again. A security guard (the same one) is  sipping his first turkish coffee of the day with a full rakweh (coffee pot) next to him.  Shuffling songs is always fun as the music gets as eclectic as my observations:  from Camille to Pete Murray to  the Cat Empire... now it's Stael's "Le temps de dire Ouf". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z293fEIUhuw . I walk by a corner shop where bags of fresh bread are already delivered, sitting on racks waiting for the shop to open.  The wind starts blowing harder: I am ge

Jazzy spirit

...on a snowy week.