Skip to main content

Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris

An eclectic moment slightly different from my art work has more to do today with my passion of teaching French culture. I have been waiting for  Midnight in Paris, Woody Allen's movie since I saw the cast filming last July in Paris. 
The beauty of art movies is having many different interpretations with no right or wrong! 

Woody Allen to the right, directing the movie in July 2010
 I lost a few other pictures I took hoping to recover them at some point (curse of technology)

The streets of Paris as well as its historical buildings and monuments are beyond beautiful but in Midnight in Paris, I was mostly taken by the beauty of rich cultural references to authors and painters who were French or lived in France at some point in their lives. It all happened by going back in time with Owen Wilson and Marion Cotillard (one of many interpretations, imagination or...)  and meeting through them painters and writers who made history. I was amazed by Woody Allen's talent in a specific scene where the one and only Dalì describes the main character's face. Hearing the description was more like contemplating one of his real paintings.
 Génie au travail!

Place Médard in the heart of the 5ème arrondissement.
Cast and crew behind the water fountain.

 My heart started pounding to the idea of having Hemingway in the movie as I instantly thought of my blog of July 30th 2010  when I talked about Shakespeare and company. I urge you to go back and look at the pictures I included then, having no idea I'd see a glance of Shakespeare and company  in the movie.Check the link below 

One beautiful eclectic moment I cherished twice, once in July of 2010 and once this second weekend of June 2011 at the movie theater.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watching the city wake up

I am jet lagged but still able to reflect on the past two weeks favorite experience. Walking and watching the city wake up. Leaving the building  close to sunrise, I am greeted by a few cats startled at the sound of  my steps wondering if I am a threat or just a safe walker.  I start my descent and pass by the neighborhood baker  warming up his oven and spreading his dough with his special zaatar (thyme) mix. I continue my walk going a few meters uphill then down again. A security guard (the same one) is  sipping his first turkish coffee of the day with a full rakweh (coffee pot) next to him.  Shuffling songs is always fun as the music gets as eclectic as my observations:  from Camille to Pete Murray to  the Cat Empire... now it's Stael's "Le temps de dire Ouf". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z293fEIUhuw . I walk by a corner shop where bags of fresh bread are already delivered, sitting on racks waiting for the shop to open.  The wind starts blowing harder: I am ge

Jazzy spirit

...on a snowy week.