Skip to main content

Close to the heart

sold

A friend asked me two days ago  if I get attached to ONE specific piece I paint or make. I actually do. I  do cherish all the things I make because they all come from the feeling of the moment. This does not mean at all that they are perfect but what's important is that they are close to my heart. 
Surprisingly, her question made me think of this collage that I made a few weeks ago. My attention  was drawn to Josyane Savigneau's new book "Simone de Beauvoir, une femme libre".
I was reading this article in the French newspaper "Le monde" and instantly cut it out and found some time the same day to make a glass vase collage.
Why Simone de Beauvoir? 
She brought back two clear memories. The first one is the day Madame Dakik, my French philosophy teacher, introduced my 9th grade class to one of her books. That was my first class discussion about feminism.The second memory is much more recent. It's that day I was walking with my daughter along Saint-Germain-des Prés in Paris when she stopped me and pointed at "Les deux Magots" café. "This is where Simone de Beauvoir and Jean Paul Sartre spent a lot of time discussing subjects of life" she said. I was so proud of her sharing with me subjects she learned in her French culture class.
That was close to the heart and that's what eclectic art moments mean to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watching the city wake up

I am jet lagged but still able to reflect on the past two weeks favorite experience. Walking and watching the city wake up. Leaving the building  close to sunrise, I am greeted by a few cats startled at the sound of  my steps wondering if I am a threat or just a safe walker.  I start my descent and pass by the neighborhood baker  warming up his oven and spreading his dough with his special zaatar (thyme) mix. I continue my walk going a few meters uphill then down again. A security guard (the same one) is  sipping his first turkish coffee of the day with a full rakweh (coffee pot) next to him.  Shuffling songs is always fun as the music gets as eclectic as my observations:  from Camille to Pete Murray to  the Cat Empire... now it's Stael's "Le temps de dire Ouf". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z293fEIUhuw . I walk by a corner shop where bags of fresh bread are already delivered, sitting on racks waiting for the shop to open.  The wind starts blowing harder: I am ge

Jazzy spirit

...on a snowy week.